JSaw - The Constant Limit Poker Grinder
72os.com Freeroll Poker League
Poker League, Forums, Reviews, Videos, and Community
Wednesday, February 02, 2005
  Greg Raymer Interview


Here is an interview we did at 72os.com with Greg "FossilMan" Raymer. He was a great guy and willing to share his time.

72os.com Q & A Session

1. I have a question regarding AK. How should you go about playing AK off suite preflop? Do you raise hoping to slim the field of players, or do you limp in hoping to attract more players creating a larger pot? I have found that limping with AK can get me into a lot of trouble; people end up hitting their drawing hands and crack my aces or kings. So how would you go about playing AK preflop? Thanks for your time. Imapokerpro

Greg Raymer: Well, there is just too much more to know before I could answer that question. Are we talking a cash game, or tournament? Limit, pot-limit, or no-limit? How deep are the stacks? How skilled are the players? What is your perception of your opponents, and theirs of you? If a tournament, are we early, middle or late? In the money yet, close, or not even close? Heads-up at the end, 3-handed, 4-handed, etc.? If a cash game, how many players? Which cards you’re holding is only a small part of the equation.

However, to answer your question, you would raise much more often than not.

2. Hi Greg. First of all I would like to say congratulations on the win. What I really want to know is where did you get those glasses and where can I buy one of your lucky fossils? Good Luck on your other poker tournaments!!! SexualPanda

Greg Raymer: Well, my website isn’t really up yet, but in the near future you will be able to buy autographed fossils, as well as the sunglasses, on www.fossilmanpoker.com !

3. Hi Greg Would you rather play a tournament online or in live play? What would you list as the pros and cons of both? I hope your winnings have helped you to be closer to your family and enjoy your life a little more. bbgold

Greg Raymer: Thanks. My family likes the new lifestyle a lot in many ways. They don’t like it when I’m away from them for a long time, but they love it when they get to come along with me to Paris and the Bahamas. To your question, I prefer live play when it’s possible, but I spend a lot of time online, due to the convenience factor. I used to spend most of my time, and now spend all of my online time at PokerStars.com.

4. My question is a very simple one: What the heck did you write in your black book after your little showdown with, and your snubbing of, Mike Matusow? roanan1

Greg Raymer: A lot of people ask me that. It was the end of the level, and I was writing down my chip count. Nothing about Mike at all.

5. Hey Greg congrats, I met and talked to you at the st.johns greyhound park poker room celebrity tourney in fla. A few months back.you are a real nice man.my question is what is it like playing next to pros like Lederer, Chan, Ivey and so on? dawgs1010

Greg Raymer: It’s the same as playing with anybody else, only it’s a lot harder to win.

6. Congrats on an outstanding win in WSOP and hope you are really ok after the robbery attempt. What would you consider to be the top 3 attributes of a successful poker player? Thanks for taking the time out to answer our questions. 4Flush

Greg Raymer: Dedication to working on improving their game, intelligence, and self-awareness.

7. Hello Greg, I just wanted to ask ...Where can I get 1 of your fossils? Thanks for your time! TooHot24

Greg Raymer: See above.

8. Congrats on the win Greg - was very impressed with the way you seemed to be in total control throughut the tourney. My question is about becoming a better online player. I'm sure you've faced the same frustrations many of us are facing now (chasers, all-in preflop, especially with the lack of tells. How were you able to overcome this and take your game to another level? TEECEE

Greg Raymer: If you work hard and study hard, and experience a lot in the poker world, you will eventually understand both intellectually as well as emotionally that the mistakes your opponents make are always a good thing, even when they get lucky and beat you. If they didn’t make mistakes, you couldn’t win in the long run. Sometimes, however, getting to that long run is very frustrating.

9. I am curious as to the thought process that went into the All In on the flop. As I recall, you had AQs and the flop was Q xx with the xx putting you on a four-to-the-flush draw. Is this a usual move for you in this situation...ie. top pair, top kicker and a flush draw? Were you tilting a little? Did you have a good read on Matusow? After all, if he had a set, you would have been in a little worse shape. Appreciate your time and look forward to your response.
Steve Hering aka Ramjac7

Greg Raymer: I’m sorry but I’m not sure which hand you mean. In the big hand on TV against Mike, I had AdJd and the flop was T93 with two diamonds, so I did not have a pair when I pushed all-in on the flop. In that hand, Mike was in late position, and raised as the first player to enter the pot. I knew he could be stealing with almost anything, so I reraised with AJs, most likely the better hand. He called, and we saw the flop mentioned above. At that time, I had about 4 times as many chips as were already in the pot. If I bet a normal-sized bet of about the pot, I was pretty sure Mike would raise me all-in, and I would have to call. If I check-raised all-in, I thought Mike would feel potstuck and call. In both of those scenarios, I would have to have the best hand on the river or I would be eliminated. However, if I just push all-in first, I thought he would fold a lot of hands, and I could win a smaller pot without risking elimination. However, he called, and I still had to make the best hand to win. Glad I did. ;-)

10. Can you tell me what are your favorite poker books and do you have any tips for sucessful online tournament play, both single and multi table strategy ?
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! RICK OLIVER, H0UDINI

Greg Raymer: The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky is the best poker book out there. It is the foundation of a great game, whether you want to play holdem, stud, tournaments, whatever. My best tip is to read this and other books, go to online poker chat sites, and do everything else you can to try and make your game a little better every day.

11. What advice would you give to someone with a bank roll of $100? whitley69

Greg Raymer: Play in small stakes online games to build up your bankroll. With games starting as low as 1 penny-2 penny no-limit holdem, you should be able to grow from almost any starting size.

12. Hi Greg, Are you writing a book or have any other projects going on? RaalphD6

Greg Raymer: I am writing a book to be published by Two Plus Two Publishing, the publisher of books by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and other great poker writers. Look for it by late spring.

13. Which do you find harder to play live or online tournaments? JSaw

Greg Raymer: Online, because you can’t pick up any tells.

14. Do you have any big wins with the power hand 72os? JSaw

Greg Raymer: Sure. All the time. As long as nobody raises my big blind.


 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Enter the world of limit poker!